Friday, May 8, 2009

{Valet(ntines) Day}


{
A hand on the small of
the back, a light touch
that none sees but him,
and her, and me, a guitar
a boy a girl
All these things are in front
of me.

Today I offered my seat
on the metro to an 
elderly lady. This afternoon
my copy of Jack Kerouacs's
On the road was stolen.
What I had gained in 
(   ) friendship I have
lost in literatrure. the 
exchange seems fair to 
me.

A liter of sprite, 2 large
fries, a butterfingersbar
these things I have bought.
Later this afternoon
these things I have made

The Valet Parker
Runs like lives will be
    at stake
It's for three dollars

The guitar goes into
the case. The Case
goes On the floor.
The arm goes around
the shoulder.
They do not leave 
the Train.

The girls dress alike.
From behind they look
the saMe. They are
back twins.

A girl sits behind me
and now beside me.
She has not moved.
Occasionally she snaps.
}
{
Somebody dabbed
butter all along the 
top of the parking
garage and now I can
see.

A Bentley zooms past me
at the light.
My Hyundai could take him
}

TWENTY-ONE FEBRUARY TWO-THOUSAND-NINE

5 comments:

  1. can you park my car in your garage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is by far one of my favorites to date. and i keep getting stuck on he second verse where you talk about friendship <3

    but the whole thing is.. charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its funny you should say that because i was sad when i wrote all of these lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. they don't sound sad. melancholy maybe. but still charming.

    ReplyDelete